Application of Raman spectroscopy method to the diagnostics of caries development
Paper #2680 received 2015.10.14; revised manuscript received 2015.12.20; accepted for publication 2015.12.21; published online 2015.12.27.
The object of study were human teeth with caries cavities and healthy teeth extracted for orthopaedic indications. The main method of study was Raman spectroscopy. We revealed the specific features of Raman spectra for the healthy tooth tissues impaired ones and the tissues affected by caries. The optical criteria are established that allow cares detection and assessment, as well as the detection of pre-caries impairment of the tooth tissues. The results were analysed in comparison with the data of the chemical analysis performed using a raster electron microscope.
1. B. A. Dye, S. Tan, V. Smith, B. G. Lewis, L. K. Barker, G. Thornton-Evans, P. I. Eke, E. D. Beltrán-Aguilar, A. M. Horowitz, and C. H. Li, “Trends in oral health status: United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2004,” Vital Health Stat 11(248), 1-92 (2007).
2. R. Ramakrishnaiah, G. ur Rehman, S. Basavarajappa, A. A. Al Khuraif, B. H. Durgesh. A. S. Khan, and I. ur Rehman, “Applications of Raman Spectroscopy in Dentistry: Analysis of Tooth Structure,” Applied Spectroscopy Reviews 50(4), 332-350 (2015). Crossref
3. M. Miyazaki, H. Onose, and B. Moore, “Analysis of the dentin–resin interface by use of laser Raman spectroscopy,” Dent. Mater 18(8), 576-580 (2002). Crossref
4. S. Yang, B. Li, A. Akkus, O. Akkus, and L. Lang, “Wide-Field Raman Imaging of Dental Lesions,” Analyst 139(12), 3107-14 (2011). Crossref
5. A. C.-T. Ko, M. Hewko, M. G. Sowa, C. C. S. Dong, B. Cleghorn, and L.-P. Choo-Smith, “Early dental caries detection using a fibre-optic coupled polarization-resolved Raman spectroscopic system,” Opt Express 16(9), 6274–6284 (2008).
6. I. Ionita, “Diagnosis of tooth decay using polarized micro-Raman confocal spectroscopy,” Rom. Rep. Phys. 61, 567-574 (2009).
7. V. Bulatov, L. Feller, Y. Yasman, and I. Schechter, “Dental enamel caries (early) diagnosis and mapping by laser Raman spectral imaging,” Instrum. Sci. Technol. 36, 235-244 (2008).
8. Y. V. Mandra, A. S. Ivanov, S. L. Votyakov, D. V. Kiseleva, “Possible applications of Raman microspectroscopy to study structural features of the hard tissues of human teeth,” Experimental and Clinical Dentistry 1, 24-28 (2011).
9. The Wetpaint Cariology Project.
10. SIRONE. The Dental Company.
11. E. V. Timchenko, P. E. Timchenko, L. T. Volova, Y. V. Ponomareva, and L. A. Taskina, “Raman spectroscopy of the organic and mineral structure of bone grafts,” Quantum Electron 44(7), 696–699 (2014).
12. A. A. Dolzhikov, Histology of Tooth Tissue. A Manual for Independent Work of Dental Department Students, Belgorod State University, Belgorod (2007) [in Russian].
13. R. Kumar, G. P. Singh, K. M. Grønhaug, N. K. Afseth, C. de Lange Davies. J. O. Drogset, and M. B. Lilledahl, “Single Cell Confocal Raman Spectroscopy of Human Osteoarthritic Chondrocytes: A Preliminary Study,” Int. J. Mol. Sci. 16(5), 9341-9353 (2015). Crossref
14. I. Rehman, Z. Movasaghi, and S. Rehman, Vibrational Spectroscopy for Tissue Analysis, Series in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, CRC Press, 271 (2012).
15. G. Mandair, and M. Morris, “Contributions of Raman spectroscopy to the understanding of bone strength,” BoneKEy Reports 4, 620 (2015). Crossref
16. A. Downes, R. Mouras, and A. Elfick, “Optical Spectroscopy for Noninvasive Monitoring of Stem Cell Differentiation,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 2010, 101864 (2010). Crossref
17. C. Xu, and Y. Wang, “Chemical composition and structure of peritubular and intertubular human dentin revisited,” Arch Oral Biol 57(4), 383-91 (2012). Crossref
18. C. C. Silva, H. H. B. Rocha, F. N. A. Freire, M. R. P. Santos, K. D. A. Saboia, J. C. Goes, and A. S. B. Sombra, “Hydroxyapatite screen-printed thick films: optical and electrical properties,” Materials Chemistry and Physics 92(1), 260-268 (2005). Crossref
© 2014-2018 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+