Characterization of porous media based on the polarimetric matrix models
Paper #3165 received 28 Feb 2017; revised manuscript received 12 Apr 2017; accepted for publication 13 Apr 2017; published online 28 Apr 2017.
In this paper, we measured the Mueller matrices of the samples with different porosity in the visible range (the wavelength of the input radiation ) for the observation angles from to . The samples under study were the tablets made of microcrystalline cellulose with the known values of porosity. To characterize the depolarizing properties of the studied samples we used the matrix models of depolarizing medium, in which the Mueller matrices describing depolarization have different structure and include different numbers of parameters. It is shown that Mueller polarimetry ensures at least 5% accuracy of porosity identification for this class of objects at the wavelength .
1. L. V. Wang, G. L. Cote, and S. L. Jacques, “Special Section Guest Editorial,” J. Biomed. Opt. 7(3), 278 (2002).
2. V. V. Tuchin, L. V. Wang, and D. A. Zimnyakov, Optical Polarisation in Biomedical Applications, Springer, Berlin (2006).
3. N. Ghosh, and I. A. Vitkin, “Tissue polarimetry: concepts, challenges, applications, and outlook,” J. Biomed. Opt. 16(11), 110801 (2011).
4. S. N. Savenkov, “Mueller Matrix Polarimetry in Material Science, Biomedical, and Environmental Applications,” Handbook of Coherent-Domain Optical Methods, V. V. Tuchin (ed.), Springer, New York, 1175-1253 (2013).
5. J. J. Gil, and E. Bernabeu, “A depolarisation criterion in Mueller matrices,” Opt. Acta 32(3), 259–261 (1985). Crossref
6. R. Espinosa-Luna, and E. Bernabeu, “On the Q(M) depolarisation metric,” Opt. Commun. 277(2), 256–258 (2007).
7. S. R. Cloude, and E. Pottier, “Concept of polarisation entropy in optical scattering,” Opt. Eng. 34(6), 1599-1610 (1995).
8. R. Ossikovski, “Alternative depolarisation criteria for Mueller matrices,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 27(4), 808-814 (2010).
9. R. A. Chipman, “Depolarization index and the average degree of polarization,” Appl. Opt. 44(13), 2490–2495 (2005). Crossref
10. M. F. G. Wood, N. Ghosh, E. H. Moriyama, B. C. Wilson, and I. A. Vitkin, “Proof-of-principle demonstration of a Mueller matrix decomposition method for polarised light tissue characterization in vivo,” J. Biomed. Opt. 14(1), 014029 (2009).
11. N. Ghosh, M. F. G. Wood, S.-H. Li, R. D. Weisel, B. C. Wilson, R.-K. Li, and I. A. Vitkin, “Mueller matrix decomposition for polarised light assessment of biological tissues,” J. Biophoton. 2(3), 145-146 (2009). Crossref
12. N. Ghosh, M. F. G. Wood, and I. A. Vitkin, “Mueller matrix decomposition for extraction of individual polarisation parameters from complex turbid media exhibiting multiple scattering, optical activity, and linear birefringence,” J. Biomed. Opt. 13(4), 044036 (2008).
13. S. Y. Lu, and R. A. Chipman, “Interpretation of Mueller matrices based on polar decomposition,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 13(5), 1106–1113 (1996).
14. P. Silfsten, V. Kontturi, T. Ervasti, J. Ketolainen, and K.-E. Peiponen, “Kramers–Kronig analysis on the real refractive index of porous media in the terahertz spectral range,” Opt. Lett. 36(5), 778–780 (2011).
15. C. F. Bohren, and E. R. Huffman, Absorption and scattering of light by small particles, Wiley, New York (1983). Crossref
16. M. I. Mishchenko, J. W. Hovenier, and L. D. Travis, Light scattering by nonspherical particles, Academic Press, San Diego (2000).
17. A. A. Kokhanovsky, Light Scattering Media Optics: Problems and Solutions, Praxis Publishing, Chichester (2001).
18. M. I. Mishchenko, and L. D. Travis, “Polarisation and depolarisation of light,” in Light Scattering from Microstructures, F. Moreno, and F. González (eds.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 159-175 (2000).
19. K. Kim, L. Mandel, and E. Wolf, “Relationship between Jones and Mueller matrices for random media,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 4(3), 433-437 (1987). Crossref
20. S. N. Savenkov, “Mueller-matrix characterization of biological tissues,” in Polarimetric Detection, Characterization and Remote Sensing NATO Science for Peace and Security Series C: Environmental Security, Springer, Netherlands, 437-472 (2011).
21. M. Williams, “Depolarisation and cross polarisation in ellipsometry of rough surfaces,” Appl. Opt. 25(20), 3616-3622 (1986). Crossref
22. R. Ossikovski, “Analysis of depolarising Mueller matrices through a symmetric decomposition,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 26(5), 1109-1118 (2009).
23. S. N. Savenkov, “Optimization and structuring of the instrument matrix for polarimetric measurements,” Optical Engineering 41(5), 965-972 (2002). Crossref
© 2014-2018 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+