Laser effect on paralimbal and trabecular zones of the eye enchases hydraulic conductivity of the sclera toward normalization of the intraocular pressure
Paper #3169 received 2 Mar 2017; revised manuscript received 25 Apr 2017; accepted for publication 25 Apr 2017; published online 30 Apr 2017.
This paper presents the concepts and theoretical basics of the laser activation in drainage system function of eye sclera through laser effect on both paralimbal and trabecular zones including both known tracts of the intraocular fluid outflow from the eye. To address the problem of laser procedure security and consistency of obtained result, the development processes of stationary and non-stationary temperature fields and thermal stresses were studied and leading to increase in eye tissue hydraulic conductivity and providing normalization of intraocular pressure at wavelength of 1.56 µm and 534 nm.
1. N. T. Choplin, and D. C. Lundy, Atlas of glaucoma, 2nd edition, Informa, UK Ltd, London, UK (2007).
2. M. M. Krasnov, “Laseropuncture of anterior chamber angle in glaucoma,” Am. J. Ophthalmol. 75(4), 674–678 (1973).
3. M. A. Latina, and J. M. de Leon, “Selective laser trabeculoplasty,” Ophthalmol. Clin. North America 18(3), 409–419 (2005).
4. J. B. Wise, “Ten-year results of laser trabeculoplasty: Does the laser avoid glaucoma surgery or merely defer it?” Eye 1(1), 45-50 (1987). Crossref
5. A. C. Lee, S. Mosaed, R. N. Weinreb, D. F. Kripke, and J. H. K. Liu, “Effect of laser trabeculoplasty on nocturnal intraocular pressure in medically treated glaucoma patients,” Ophthalmology 114(4), 666–670 (2007).
6. B. K. Hong, J. C. Winer, J. F. Martone, M. Wand, B. Altman, and B. Shields “Repeat selective laser trabeculoplasty,” J. Glaucoma 18(3), 180–183 (2009). Crossref
7. O. A. Kiseleva, O. V. Robustova, A. M. Bessmertnyy, E. K. Zakharova, and R. V. Avdeyev, “Prevalence of primary glaucoma in representatives of different races and ethnic groups in the world,” Ophthalmology 10(3), 5–8 (2013) [in Russian].
8. O. A. Kiseleva, O. V. Robustova, A. M. Bessmertnyy, E. K. Zakharova, and R. V. Avdeyev, “Prevalence of primary glaucoma in representatives of different races and ethnic groups in Russia and CIS countries,” Ophthalmology 10(4), 11-15 (2013) [in Russian].
9. E. Sobol, A. Shekhter, A. Guller, O. Baum, and A. Baskov, “Laser-induced regeneration of cartilage,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 16(8), 080902 (2011). Crossref
10. V. N. Bagratashvili, E. N. Sobol., and A. B. Shekhter, Laser engineering of cartilage, Fizmatlit, Мoscow (2006) [in Russian].
11. A. V. Bolshunov, O. V. Khomchik, E. N. Sobol, O. I. Baum, and A. I. Omelchenko, “Method of treatment of open-angle glaucoma in resistant forms,” Patent number of Russian Federation is 2463029, invention priority of 02 June 2011, registered and published in State Registry of Inventions of RF of 10 October (2012).
12. G. Paltauf, and H. Schmidt-Kloiber, “Photoacoustic cavitations in spherical and cylindrical absorbers,” Appl. Phys. A 68(5), 525-531 (1999). Crossref
13. R. D. Richtmayer, and K. W. Morton, Difference methods for initial-value problems, Intersci. Publ. division of John Wiley & Sons, New York (1967).
14. A. I. Shnirelman, E. N. Sobol, and V. N. Bagratashvili, “A new mechanism for stress relaxation in cartilaginous tissue upon laser heating,” Laser Phys 14(3), 1-5 (2004).
15. O. G. Romanov, G. I. Zheltov, and G. S. Romanov, “Numerical modeling of thermomechanical processes in absorption of laser radiation in spatially inhomogeneous media,” Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics 84(4), 772-780 (2011). Crossref
16. A. I. Omelchenko, V. N. Bagratashvili, E. N. Sobol, and A. A. Karabutov, “Control of Tissue Mechanics upon the Repetitive-Pulse Laser Heating of Cartilage,” Laser Physics 16(12), 1681-1688 (2006). Crossref
17. S. P. Timoshenko, and J. N. Goodier, Theory of Elasticity, 2nd Ed, McGraw-Hill Book Company (1951).
18. Ya. B. Zeldovich, and Yu. P. Rayzer, Physics of shock waves and high-temperature hydrodynamic events, Nauka, Мoscow (1966) [in Russian].
19. G. I. Zheltov, V. A. Lisinetskii, A. S. Grabtchikov, and V. A. Orlovich, “Low-threshold cavitation in water using IR laser pulse trains,” Applied Optics 47(20), 3549-3554 (2008). Crossref
20. A. V. Yuzhakov, A. P. Sviridov, O. I. Baum, E. M. Shcherbakov, and E. N. Sobol, “Optical Characteristics of the Cornea and Sclera and their Alterations under the Effect of Nondestructive 1.56-mkm Laser Radiation,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 18(5), 058003 (2013). Crossref
21. M. V. Monakhova, O. I. Baum, M. V. Obrezkova, A. I. Omelchenko, and E. N. Sobol, “Effect of nondestructive laser radiation on hydraulic conductivity of mini-pig ocular tissue,” Collected papers of XI interuniversity scientific school of young professionals, Moscow, 96-98 (2010) [in Russian].
22. O. I. Baum, E. N. Sobol, A. V. Bolshunov, A. A. Fedorov, O. V. Khomchik, A. I. Omelchenko, and E. M. Sherbakov, “Microstructural changes in sclera under thermomechanical effect of 1.56 μm laser radiation increasing transscleral humor outflow,” Laser in Surgery and Medicine 46(1), 46-53 (2014).
23. S. E. Avetisov, A. V. Bol’shunov, O. V. Khomchik, А. А. Fyodorov, V. I. Siplivyj, O. I. Baum, A. I. Omelchenko, E. M. Shcherbakov, V. Jа. Panchenko, and E. N. Sobol, “Laser-induced increase of scleral hydropermiability in the treatment of resistant forms open-angle glaucoma,” Russian national journal of glaucoma 14(2), 5-13 (2015) [in Russian].
24. O. I. Baum, Modification mechanisms of cartilage tissue and ocular tissue under effect of laser radiation, Thesis of dissertation, Мoscow (2016).
25. O. Baum., A. Yuzhakov, A. Bolshunov, V. Siplivyy, O. Khomchik, A. Gamidov, and E. Sobol, “New methods in ophthalmology,” Quantum electronics, to be published.
26. R. Hill, The Mathematical Theory of Plasticity, Oxford University Press, Oxford (1998).
27. S. V. Balalin, V. P. Fokin, “Superthreshold laser trabeculoplasty and achievement of tolerant intraocular pressure in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma,” Bulletin of Orenburg State University 14(133), 51-53 (2011) [in Russian].
28. O. I. Baum, G. I. Zheltov, A. I. Omelchenko, G. S. Romanov, O. G. Romanov, and E. N. Sobol, “Thermomechanical effect of pulse-periodic laser radiation on cartilaginous and eye tissues,” Laser Physics 23(8), 085602 (2013). Crossref
29. D. Sliney, and M. Wolbarsht, Safety with Lasers and Other Optical Sourses, A Compehensive Handbook, Plenum Press, N.Y. & London (1982).
30. G. I. Zheltov, “Effect of intensive optical radiation on ocular tissue: research and attachments”, Abstract of thesis to receive a degree of Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences in form of scientific report, Minsk (1996).
31. G. I. Zheltov, A. S. Rubanov, and E. I. Vitkin, “Thermoacoustic processes in pigmented biological tissues under effect of pulse laser radiation,” Fundamental research bulletin 3, 96-113 (2003) [in Russian].
32. A. Oraevsky, S. Jacques, R. Esenaliev, and F. Tittel, “Pulsed Laser Ablation of Soft Tissues, Gels and Aqueous Solutions at Temperature below 100°C,” Lasers Surg. Med. 18(3), 231-240 (1996). 3.0.CO;2-T target='_blank'>Crossref
© 2014-2022 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+