Optical Clearing of the Gastric Mucosa Using 40%-glucose Solution
Paper #3327 received 16 Jul 2019; revised manuscript received 14 Sep 2019; accepted for publication 21 Sep 2019; published online 30 Sep 2019.
1. V. V. Tuchin, Tissue Optics: Light Scattering Methods and Instruments for Medical Diagnosis, 3rd Edition, SPIE Press, Bellingham, Washington (2015).
2. V. V. Tuchin (Ed.), Handbook of Optical Biomedical Diagnostics, 2nd Edition, SPIE Press, Bellingham, Washington (2016).
3. V. V. Tuchin, “Tissue optics and photonics: light-tissue interaction,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 1(2), 98–134 (2015).
4. A. J. Welch, M. J. C. van Gemert (Eds.), Optical-thermal response of laser-irradiated tissue, 2nd Edition, Springer (2011).
5. D. A. Boas, C. Pitris, and N. Ramanujan (Eds.), Handbook of Biomedical Optics, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group (2011).
6. S. H. Yun, S. J. J. Kwok, “Light in diagnosis, therapy and surgery,” Nature Biomedical Engineering 1(1), 0008 (2017).
7. A. Méndez, “Optics in Medicine,” Chap. 13 in Optics in Our Time, M. Al-Amri, M. El-Gomati, and M. Zubairy (Eds.), Springer, 299–333 (2016).
8. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, V. Silva, R. Henrique, R. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Kinetics of optical properties of human colorectal tissues during optical clearing: a comparative study between normal and pathological tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 23(12), 121620 (2018).
9. W. Feng, R. Shi, N. Ma, D. K. Tuchina, V. V. Tuchin, and D. Zhu, “Skin optical clearing potential of disaccharides,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 21(8), 081207 (2016).
10. E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Glucose-induced optical clearing effects in tissues and blood,” Chap. 21 in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues, V. V. Tuchin (Ed.), Taylor & Francis Group LLC, CRC Press, 657–692 (2009).
11. E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Tissue optical immersion clearing,” Expert Review of Medical Devices 7(6), 825–842 (2010).
12. E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, Yu. P. Sinichkin, I. Yu. Yanina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Optical clearing of tissues: benefits for biology, medical diagnostics, and phototherapy,” Chap. 10 in Handbook of Optical Biomedical Diagnostics, 2nd Edition, V. V. Tuchin (Ed.), SPIE Press, Bellingham, Washington, 565–637 (2016).
13. K. V. Larin, M. G. Ghosn, A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, N. A. Trunina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Optical clearing for OCT image enhancement and in-depth monitoring of molecular diffusion,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 18(3), 1244–1259 (2012).
14. J. Wang, N. Ma, R. Shi, Y. Zhang, T. Yu, and D. Zhu, “Sugar-induced skin optical clearing: from molecular dynamics simulation to experimental demonstration,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 20(2), 7101007 (2014).
15. D. Zhu, K. Larin, Q. Luo, and V. V. Tuchin, “Recent progress in tissue optical clearing,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 7(5), 732–757 (2013).
16. H. Xiong, Z. Guo, C. Zeng, L. Wang, Y. He, and S. Liu, “Application of hyperosmotic agent to determine gastric cancer with optical coherence tomography ex vivo in mice,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 14(2), 024029 (2009).
17. D. K. Tuchina, R. Shi, A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, D. Zhu, Q. Luo, and V. V. Tuchin, “Ex vivo optical measurements of glucose diffusion kinetics in native and diabetic mouse skin,” Journal of Biophotonics 8(4), 332–346 (2015).
18. D. K. Tuchina, P. A. Timoshina, V. V. Tuchin, A. N. Bashkatov, and E. A. Genina, “Kinetics of rat skin optical clearing at topical application of 40% glucose: ex vivo and in vivo studies,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 25(1), 7200508 (2019).
19. D. K. Tuchina, A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Quantification of glucose and glycerol diffusion in myocardium,” Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences 8(3), 1541006 (2015).
20. H. Ullah, F. Hussain, and M. Ikram, “Optical coherence tomography for glucose monitoring in blood,” Applied Physics B 120, 355–366 (2015).
21. R. V. Kuranov, V. V. Sapozhnikova, D. S. Prough, I. Cicenaite, and R. O. Esenaliev, “In vivo study of glucose-induced changes in skin properties assessed with optical coherence tomography,” Physics in Medicine & Biology 51, 3885–3900 (2006).
22. R. K. Wang, X. Xu, Y. He, and J. B. Elder, “Investigation of optical clearing of gastric tissue immersed with hyperosmotic agents,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 9(2), 234–242 (2003).
23. X. Xu, R. Wang, and J. B. Elder, “Optical clearing effect on gastric tissues immersed with biocompatible chemical agents investigated by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 36, 1707–1713 (2003).
24. Y. He, R. K. Wang, “Dynamic optical clearing effect of tissue impregnated with hyperosmotic agents and studied with optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 9(1), 200–206 (2004).
25. X. Xu, R. K. Wang, “Synergistic effect of hyperosmotic agents of dimethyl sulfoxide and glycerol on optical clearing of gastric tissue studied with near infrared spectroscopy,” Physics in Medicine and Biology 49, 457–468 (2004).
26. Q. Zhao, C. Zhou, H. Wei, Y. He, X. Chai, and Q. Ren, “Ex vivo determination of glucose permeability and optical attenuation coefficient in normal and adenomatous human colon tissues using spectral domain optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 17(10), 105004 (2012).
27. Q. L. Zhao, J. L. Si, Z. Y. Guo, H. J. Wei, H. Q. Yang, G. Y. Wu, S. S. Xie, X. Y. Li, X. Guo, H. Q. Zhong, and L. Q. Li, “Quantifying glucose permeability and enhanced light penetration in ex vivo human normal and cancerous esophagus tissues with optical coherence tomography,” Laser Physics Letters 8(1), 71–77 (2011).
28. S. Carvalho, N. Gueiral, E. Nogueira, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Glucose diffusion in colorectal mucosa a comparative study between normal and cancer tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 22(9), 091506 (2017).
29. P. Schiebener, J. Straub, J. M. H. L. Sengers, and J. S. Gallagher, “Refractive index of water and steam as function of wavelength, temperature and density,” Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data 19(3), 677–717 (1990).
30. A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Measurement of glucose diffusion coefficients in human tissues,” Chap. 19 in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues, V. V. Tuchin (Ed.), Taylor & Francis Group LLC, CRC Press, 587–621 (2009).
31. V. D. Genin, D. K. Tuchina, A. J. Sadeq, E. A. Genina, V. V. Tuchin, and A. N. Bashkatov, “Ex vivo investigation of glycerol diffusion in skin tissue,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 2(1), 010303 (2016).
32. L. M. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “The characteristic time of glucose diffusion measured for muscle tissue at optical clearing,” Laser Physics 23(7), 075606 (2013).
33. L. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. M. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Diffusion characteristics of ethylene glycol in skeletal muscle,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 20(5), 051019 (2015).
34. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, R. M. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “A robust ex vivo method to evaluate the diffusion properties of agents in biological tissues,” Journal of Biophotonics 12(4), e201800333 (2019).
35. A. Kotyk, K. Janacek, Membrane Transport: An Interdisciplinary Approach, Plenum Press, New York (1977).
36. D. Zhu, J. Wang, Z. Zhi, X. Wen, and Q. Luo, “Imaging dermal blood flow through the intact rat skin with an optical clearing method,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 15, 026008 (2010).
37. B. Choi, L. Tsu, E. Chen, T. S. Ishak, S. M. Iskandar, S. Chess, and J. S. Nelson, “Determination of chemical agent optical clearing potential using in vitro human skin,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 36, 72–75 (2005).
38. D. K. Tuchina, V. D. Genin, A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Optical clearing of skin tissue ex vivo with polyethylene glycol,” Optics and Spectroscopy 120(1), 28–37 (2016).
39. A. N. Bashkatov, E. A. Genina, V. A. Grishaev, S. V. Kapralov, V. I. Kochubey, and V. V. Tuchin, “Study of the changes of gastric wall mucosa optical properties under the impact of aqueous solutions of haemoglobin and glucose for improving conditions of the laser coagulation,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 3(4), 040304 (2017).
40. S. Golovynskyi, I. Golovynska, L. I. Stepanova, O. I. Datsenko, L. Liu, J. Qu, and T. Y. Ohulchanskyy, “Optical windows for head tissues in near-infrared and short-wave infrared regions: approaching transcranial light applications,” Journal of Biophotonics 11(12), e201800141 (2018).
© 2014-2020 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+