Practical implementation analysis of the fractal dimension calculating algorithm for the medical images by the example of neutrophil nuclei
This paper presents the results of estimating the fractal dimension of neutrophil nuclei to determine their functional state. Calculations were carried out by a specially developed software-implemented algorithm. The study has shown that the fractal theory can be applied to automate medical image processing.
1. V. V. Goryunova. T. I. Goryunova. I. I. Kukhtevich, and T. T. Polyakova, “Processing medical images in graph databases and patient identification,” Mezhdunarodnyy studencheskiy nauchnyy vestnik 4(9), 1390–1393 (2017) [in Russian].
2. S. V. Ablameyko, A. M. Nedzved, Processing optical images of cell structures in medicine, OIPI NAN Belarusi, Minsk (2005) [in Russian].
3. N. N. Chernov, A. P. Samoylenko, and A. V. Pribylskiy, “A technique to increase the informative value of X-ray image pre-processing,” Modelirovaniye, optimizatsiya i informatsionnyye tekhnologii 6(1), 6–20 (2018) [in Russian]..
4. A. K. Ostapchuk, V. E. Ovsyannikov, Application of fractal theory in mathematical modelling and equipment, Izdetelstvo Kurganskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, Kurgan (2009) [in Russian].
5. P. Nesterov, “Calculating Minkowskian fractal dimension for 2D-imaging,” Habr (accessed 15.12.2018) [in Russian].
6. A. I. Povoroznyuk, A. V. Emelianova, “A system of medical image processing in radiology by means of fractal analysis,” Vestnik NTU "KhPI" 35, 147–151 (2014) [in Russian].
7. G. S. Simonyan, A. G. Simonyan, “Fractality of biological systems. II Fractality of cells and cell ensembles,” Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamentalnykh issledovaniy 3(2), 268–271 (2016) [in Russian].
8. P. Bose, N. T. Brockton, K. Guggisberg, S. C. Nakoneshny, E. Kornaga, A. C. Klimowicz, M. Tambasco, and J. C. Dort, “Fractal analysis of nuclear histology integrates tumor and stromal features into a single prognostic factor of the oral cancer microenviroment,” BMC Cancer 15(1), 409–418 (2015).
9. S. Bhandari, S. Choudannavar, E. R. Avery, P. Sahay, and P. Pradhan “Detection of colon cancer stages via fractal dimension analysis of optical transmission imaging of tissue microarrays (TMA),” Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 4(6), 65–75 (2018).
10. K. Metze, R. Adam, J. B. Florindo, “The fractal dimension of chromatin - a potential molecular marker for carcinogenesis, tumor progression and prognosis,” Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics 19(4), 299–312 (2019).
11. Yu. I. Afanasyev, N. A. Yurina, and E. F. Kotovskiy, Histology, cytology and embryology, Meditsina, Moscow (2002) [in Russian].
12. Laboratory diagnostics (accessed 29.11.2018).
13. P. S. Aleksandrov, P. S. Uryson, Memoir on compact topological spaces, Fizmatlit, Moscow (2009) [in Russian].
14. B. Mandelbrot, Fractal geometry of nature, Institut Kompyuternykh Issledovaniy, Moscow (2002) [in Russian].
© 2014-2021 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+