UV-NIR efficiency of the refractive index matching mechanism on colorectal muscle during treatment with different glycerol osmolarities
Paper #3374 received 25 May 2020; revised manuscript received 12 Jun 2020; accepted for publication 14 Jun 2020; published online 26 Jun 2020.
1. V. V. Tuchin, I. L. Maksimova, D. A. Zimnyakov, I. L. Kon, A. H. Mavlutov, and A. A. Mishin, “Light propagation in tissues with controlled optical properties,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 2(4), 401–407 (1997).
2. L. M. C. Oliveira, V. V. Tuchin, The Optical Clearing Method: A New Tool for Clinical Practice and Biomedical Engineering, Springer, Cham: Switzerland (2019).
3. L. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Optical clearing mechanisms characterization in muscle,” Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences 9(5), 1650035 (2016).
4. A. Yu. Sdobnov, M. E. Darvin, E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, J. Lademann, and V. V. Tuchin, “Recent progress in tissue optical clearing for spectroscopic application,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 197, 216–229 (2018).
5. O. Semyachkina-Glushkovskaya, A. Abdurashitov, A. Dubrovsky, D. Bragin, O. Bragina, N. Shushunova, G. Maslyakova, N. Navolokin, A. Bucharskaya, V. V. Tuchin, J. Kurths, and A. Shirokov, “Application of optical coherence tomography for in vivo monitoring of the meningeal lymphatic vessels during opening of blood-brain barrier: mechanisms of brain clearing,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 22(12), 121719 (2017).
6. T. Yu, Y. Qi, H. Gong, Q. Luo, and D. Zhu, “Optical clearing for multiscale biological tissues,” Journal of Biophotonics 11(2), e201700187 (2018).
7. A. Yu. Sdobnov, V. V. Tuchin, J. Lademann, and M. E. Darvin, “Confocal Raman microscopy supported by optical clearing treatment of the skin – influence on collagen hydration,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 50(28), 285401 (2017).
8. D. Chen, N. Zeng, Q. Xie, H. He, V. V. Tuchin, and H. Ma, “Mueller matrix polarimetry for characterizing microstructural variation of nude mouse skin during optical clearing,” Biomedical Optics Express 8(8), 3559–3570 (2017).
9. M. G. Ghosn, E. F. Carbajal, N. A. Befrui, V. V. Tuchin, and K. V. Larin, “Differential permeability rate and percent clearing of glucose in different regions in rabbit sclera,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 13(2), 021110 (2008).
10. Q. L. Zhao, J. L. Si, Z. Y. Guo, H. J. Wei, H. Q. Yang, G. Y. Wu, S. S. Xie, X. Y. Li, X. Guo, H. Q. Zhong, and L. Q. Li, “Quantifying glucose permeability and enhanced light penetration in ex vivo human normal and cancerous esophagus tissues with optical coherence tomography,” Laser Physics Letters 8(1), 71–77 (2011).
11. H. Ullah, E. Ahmed, and M. Ikram, “Monitoring of glucose levels in mouse blood with noninvasive optical methods,” Laser Physics 24(2), 025601 (2014).
12. O. Zhernovaya, V. V. Tuchin, and M. J. Leahy, “Blood optical clearing studied by optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 18(2), 26014 (2013).
13. P. Liu, Y. Huang, Z. Guo, J. Wang, Z. Zhuang, and S. Liu, “Discrimination of dimethyl sulfoxide diffusion coefficient in the process of optical clearing by confocal micro-Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 18(2), 20507 (2013).
14. L. M. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “The characteristic time of glucose Diffusion measured for muscle tissue at optical clearing,” Laser Physics 23, 075606 (2013).
15. L. M. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. M. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Diffusion characteristics of ethylene glycol in skeletal muscle,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 20(5), 051019 (2015).
16. S. Carvalho, N. Gueiral, E. Nogueira, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Glucose diffusion in colorectal mucosa – a comparative study between normal and cancer tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 22(9), 091506 (2017).
17. K. V. Berezin, K. N. Dvoretski, M. L. Chernavina, V. V. Nechaev, A. M. Likhter, I. T. Shagautdinova, E. Yu. Stepanovich, O. N. Grechukhina, and V. V. Tuchin, “Studying the mechanism of tissue optical clearing using the method of molecular dynamics,” Proceedings of SPIE 10336, 103360J (2017).
18. K. V. Berezin, K. N. Dvoretski, M. L. Chernavina, A. M. Likhter, V. V. Smirnov, I. T. Shagautdinova, E. M. Antonova, E. Yu. Stepanovich, E. A. Dzhalmuhambetova, and V. V. Tuchin, “Molecular modeling of immersion optical clearing of biological tissues,” Journal of Molecular Modeling 24(2), 45 (2018).
19. L. Pires, V. Demidov, I. A. Vitkin, V. S. Bagnato, C. Kurachi, and B. C. Wilson, “Optical clearing of melanoma in vivo: characterization by diffuse reflectance spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 21(8), 081210 (2016).
20. D. Abookasis, T. Moshe, “Reconstruction enhancement of hidden object using speckle contrast projections and optical clearing agents,” Optics Communications 300, 58–64 (2013).
21. D. Zhu, W. Lu, Y. Weng, H. Cui, and Q. Luo, “Monitoring thermal-induced changes tumor blood flow and microvessels with laser speckle contrast imaging,” Applied Optics 46(10), 1911–1917 (2007).
22. Y. Zhang, H. Liu, J. Tang, Z. Li, X. Zhou, R. Zhang, L. Chen, Y. Mao, and C. Li, “Non-invasively imaging subcutaneous tumor xenograft by handheld Raman detector, with assistance of optical clearing agent,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9(21), 17769–17776 (2017).
23. M. Oldham, H. Sakhalkar, T. Oliver, M. Y. Wang, J. Kirkpatrick, J. Cao, C. Badea, and M. Dewhirst, “Three-dimensional imaging of xenograft tumors using optical computed and emission tomography,” Medical Physics 33(9), 3193–3202 (2006).
24. M. Oldham, H. Sakhalkar, T. Oliver, G. A. Johnson, and M. Dewhirst, “Optical clearing of unsectioned specimens for three-dimensional imaging via optical transmission and emission tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 13(2), 021113 (2008).
25. M. Wei, L. Shi, Y. Shen, Z. Zhao, A. Guzman, L. J. Kaufman, L. Wei, and W. Min, “Volumetric chemical imaging by clearing-enhanced stimulated Raman scattering microscopy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116(14), 6608–6617 (2019).
26. T. Lagerweijt, S. A. Dusoswa, A. Negrean, E. M. L. Hendrikx, H. E. Vries, J. Kole, J. J. Garcia-Vallejo, H. D. Mansvelder, W. P. Vandertop, D. P. Noske, B. A. Tannous, R. J. P. Musters, Y. van Kooyk, P. Wesseling, X. W. Zhao, and T. Wurdinger, “Optical clearing and fluorescence deep-tissue imaging for 3D quantitative analysis of the brain tumor microenvironment,” Angiogenesis 20(4), 533–546 (2017).
27. J. Hirshburg, B. Choi, J. S. Nelson, and A. T. Yeh, “Collagen solubility correlates with skin optical clearing,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 11(4), 040501 (2006).
28. V. Hovhannisyan, P.-S. Hu, S.-J. Chen, C.-S. Kim, and C.-Y. Dong, “Elucidation of the mechanisms of optical clearing in collagen tissue with multiphoton imaging,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 18(4), 046004 (2013).
29. I. Costantini, R. Cicchi, L. Silvestri, F. Vanzi, and F. S. Pavone, “In-vivo and ex-vivo optical clearing methods for biological tissues: review,” Biomedical Optics Express 10(10), 5251–5267 (2019).
30. E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Tissue optical immersion clearing,” Expert Review of Medical Devices 7(6), 825–842 (2010).
31. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. Tuchin, “Measurement of optical properties of normal and pathological human liver tissue from deep-UV to NIR,” Proceedings of SPIE 11363, 113630D (2020).
32. H. Ding, J. Q. Lu, W. A. Wooden, P. J. Kragel, and X. H. Hu, “Refractive indices of human skin tissues at eight wavelengths and estimated dispersion relations between 300 and 1600 nm,” Physics in Medicine and Biology 51(6), 1479–1489 (2006).
33. Z. Deng, J. Wang, Q. Ye, T. Sun, E. Zhou, J. Mei, C. Zhang, and J. Tian, “Determination of continuous complex refractive index dispersion of biotissue based on internal reflection,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 21(1), 015003 (2016).
34. S. Liu, Z. Deng, J. Li, J. Wang, N. Huang, R. Cui, Q. Zhang, J. Mei, E. Zhou, C. Zhang, Q. Ye, and J. Tian, “Measurement of the refractive index of whole blood and its components for a continuous spectral region,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 24(3), 035003 (2019).
35. Y. Zhou, J. Yao, and L. V. Wang, “Tutorial on photoacoustic tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 21(6), 061007 (2016).
36. P. Brescia, Micro-volume purity assessment of nuclei acids using A260/A280 ratio and spectral scanning protein and nucleic acid quantification (accessed: May 2020).
37. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. Tuchin, “Moving tissue spectral window to the deep-ultraviolet via optical clearing,” Journal of Biophotonics 12(12), e201900181 (2019).
38. A. Yeh, B. Choi, J. S. Nelson, and B. J. Tromberg, “Reversible dissociation of collagen in tissues,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology 121, 1332–1335 (2003).
39. L. M. Oliveira, M. I. Carvalho, E. M. Nogueira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Skeletal muscle dispersion (400-1000 nm) and kinetics at optical clearing,” Journal of Biophotonics 11(1), e201700094 (2018).
40. V. V. Tuchin, Tissue Optics: Light Scattering Methods and Instruments for Medical Diagnosis, 3rd ed., SPIE Press, Bellingham (2015).
41. S. L. Jacques, “Optical properties of biological tissues: a review,” Physics in Medicine and Biology 58(11), R37–R61 (2013).
42. J. Grienger, H. Groβ, J. Newkammer, and M. Bär, “Determining the refractive index of human hemoglobin solutions by Kramers-Kronig relations with an improved absorption model,” Applied Optics 55(31), 8951–8961 (2016).
43. O. Sydoruk, O. Zhernovaya, V. Tuchin, and A. Douplik, “Refractive index of solutions of human hemoglobin from the near-infrared to the ultraviolet range: Kramers-Kronig analysis,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 17(11), 115002 (2012).
44. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Kinetics of optical properties of colorectal muscle during optical clearing,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 25(1), 7200608 (2019).
45. V. V. Tuchin, Optical Clearing of Tissues and Blood, SPIE Press, Bellingham (2006).
46. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, V. Silva, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Kinetics of optical properties of human colorectal tissues during optical clearing: a comparative study between normal and pathological tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 23(12), 121620 (2018).
47. L. Oliveira, A. Lage, M. Pais Clemente, and V. V. Tuchin, “Optical characterization and composition of abdominal wall muscle from rat,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 47, 667–672 (2009).
48. L. Oliveira, A. Lage, M. Pais Clemente, and V. V. Tuchin, “Rat muscle opacity decrease due to the osmosis of a simple mixture,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 15(5), 055004 (2010).
49. K. M. Meek, S. Dennis, and S. Khan, “Changes in the refractive index of the stroma and its extrafibrillar matrix when the cornea swells,” Biophysical Journal 85(4), 2205–2212 (2003).
50. K. M. Meek, D. W. Leonard, C. J. Connon, S. Dennis, and S. Khan, “Transparency, swelling and scarring in the corneal stroma,” Eye 17(8), 927–936 (2003).
51. O. Zhernovaya, O. Sydoruk, V. V. Tuchin, and A. Douplik, “The refractive index of human hemoglobin in the visible range,” Physics in Medicine and Biology 56(13), 4013–4021 (2011).
52. E. N. Lazareva, V. V. Tuchin, “Measurement of refractive index of hemoglobin in the visible/NIR spectral range,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 23(3), 035004 (2018).
53. E. N. Lazareva, V. V. Tuchin, “Blood refractive index modeling in the visible and near infrared spectral regions,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 4(1), 010503 (2018).
54. I. Yu. Yanina, E. E. Lazareva, and V. V. Tuchin, “Refractive index of adipose tissue and lipid droplet measured in wide spectral and temperature ranges,” Applied Optics 57(17), 4839–4848 (2018).
55. M. Daimon, A. Masumura, “Measurement of the refractive index of distilled water from the near-infrared region to the ultraviolet region,” Applied Optics 46, 3811–3820 (2007).
© 2014-2021 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+