Estimation of Rabbit Pancreas Dispersion Between 400 and 1000 nm
Paper #3409 received 13 Mar 2021; revised manuscript received 8 Apr 2021; accepted for publication 12 Apr 2021; published online 7 May 2021.
1. Z. Wang, K. Tangella, A. Balla and G. Popescu, “Tissue refractive index as a marker of disease,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 16(11), 116017 (2011).
2. P. Giannios, K. G. Toutouzas, M. Matiatou, K. Stasinos, M. M. Konstadoulakis, G. C. Zografos, and K. Moutzouris, “Visible to near-infrared refractive properties of freshly-excised human-liver tissues: marking hepatic malignancies,” Scientific Reports 6, 27910 (2016).
3. P. Giannios, S. Koutsoumpos, K. G. Toutouzas, M. Matiatou, G. C. Zografos, and K. Moutzouris, “Complex refractive index of normal and malignant human colorectal tissue in the visible and near-infrared,” Journal of Biophotonics 10(2), 303–310 (2017).
4. S. Carvalho, I. Carneiro, R. Henrique, V. Tuchin, and L. Oliveira, “Lipofuscin-type pigment as a marker of colorectal cancer,” Electronics 9(11), 1805 (2020).
5. F. Carpignano, G. Rigamonti, G. Mazzani, and S. Merlo, “Low-coherence reflectometry for refractive index measurements of cells in micro-capillaries,” Sensors 16(10), 1670 (2016).
6. Z. Turani, E. Fatemizadeh, Q. Xu, S. Daveluy, D. Mehregan, and M. R. N. Avanaki, “Refractive índex correction in optical coherence tomography images of multilayer tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 23(7), 070501 (2018).
7. E. N. Lazareva, L. Oliveira, I. Yu. Yanina, N. V. Chernomyrdin, G. R. Musina, D. K. Tuchina, A. N. Bashkatov, K. I. Zaytsev, and V. V. Tuchin, “Refractive index measurements of tissue and blood and OCAS in a wide spectral range” in Tissue optical clearing: new prospects in optical imaging, D. Zhu, E. Genina, and V. Tuchin (Eds), CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA, to be published.
8. A. R. Knuettel, M. Boehlau-Godau, “Spatially confined and temporally resolved refractive index and scattering evaluation in human skin performed with optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 5(1), 83–92 (2000).
9. J.-C. Lai, Z.-H. Li, and A.-Z. He, “Influence of complex refractive index on diffuse reflection of biological tissues,” Chinese Physics Letters 22(2), 332–334 (2005).
10. A. K. Dunn, Light scattering properties of cells, PhD dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA (1997).
11. L. M. Oliveira, K. I. Zaytsev, and V. V. Tuchin, “Improved biomedical imaging over a wide spectral range from UV to THz towards multimodality,” Proceedings SPIE 11585, 1158503 (2020).
12. L. M. C. Oliveira, V. V. Tuchin, The Optical Clearing Method: A New Tool for Clinical Practice and Biomedical Engineering, Springer, Cham, Switzerland (2019). ISBN: 978-3-030-33055-2.
13. N. Gomes, V. V. Tuchin, and L. M. Oliveira, “UV-NIR efficiency of the refractive index matching mechanism on colorectal muscle during treatment with different glycerol osmolarities,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 6(2), 020307 (2020).
14. N. Gomes, V. V. Tuchin, and L. M. Oliveira, “Refractive index matching efficiency in colorectal mucosa treated with glycerol,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 27(4), 7200808 (2021).
15. O. A. Smolyanskaya, N. V. Chernomyrdin, A. A. Konovko, K. I. Zaytsev, I. A. Ozheredov, O. P. Cherkasova, M. M. Nazarov, J.-P. Guillet, S. A. Kozlov, Yu. V. Kistnev, J.-L. Coutaz, P. Mounaix, V. L. Vaks, J.-H. Son, H. Cheon, V. P. Wallace, Yu. Feldman, I. Popov, A. N. Yaroslavsky, A. P. Shkurinov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Terahertz biophotonics as a tool for studies of dielectric and spectral properties of biological tissues and liquids,” Progress in Quantum Electronics 62, 1–77 (2018).
16. K. I. Zaytsev, A. A. Gavdush, N. V. Chernomyrdin, and A. O. Yurchenko, “Highly accurate in vivo Terahertz spectroscopy of healthy skin: Variation of refractive index and absorption coefficient along the human body,” IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology 5(5), 817–827 (2015).
17. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Measuring optical properties of human liver between 400 1000 nm,” Quantum Electronics 49(1), 13–19 (2019).
18. I. Yu. Yanina, E. N. Lazareva, and V. V. Tuchin, “Refractive index of adipose tissue and lipid droplet measured in wide spectral and temperature ranges,” Applied Optics 57(17), 4839 (2018).
19. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Measurement of optical properties of normal and pathological human liver tissue from deep-UV to NIR,” Proceedings SPIE 11363, 113630G (2020).
20. R. Khan, B. Gul, S. Khan, H. Nisar, and I. Ahmad, “Refractive index of biological tissues: Review, measurement techniques and applications,” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 33, 102192 (2021).
21. H. Li, S. Xie, “Measurement method of the refractive index of biotissue by total internal reflection,” Applied Optics 35, 1793–1975 (1996).
22. A. N. Bashkatov, K. V. Berezin, K. N. Dvoretskiy, M. L. Chernavina, E. A. Genina, V. D. Genin, V. I. Kochubey, E. N. Lazareva, A. B. Pravdin, M. E. Shvachkina, P. A. Timoshina, A. K. Tuchina, D. D. Yakovlev, D. A. Yakovlev, I. Yu. Yanina, O. S. Zhernovaya, and V. V. Tuchin, “Measurement of tissue optical properties in the context of tissue optical clearing,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 23(9), 091416 (2018).
23. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin “Water content and scatterers dispersion evaluation in colorectal tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 3(4), 040301 (2017).
24. S. Carvalho, N. Gueiral, E. Nogueira, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Wavelength dependence of the refractive index of human colorectal tissues: comparison between healthy mucosa and cancer,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 2(4), 040307 (2016).
25. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Simple multimodal optical technique for evaluation of free/bound water and dispersion of human liver tissue,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 22(12), 125002 (2017).
26. H. Ding, J. Q. Lu, K. M. Jacobs, and X.-H. Hu, “Determination of refractive indices of porcine skin tissues and intralipid at eight wavelengths between 325 and 1557 nm,” Journal of Optical Society of America A 22(6), 1151–1157 (2005).
27. H. Ding, J. Q. Lu, W. A. Wooden P. J. Kragel, and X.-H. Hu, “Refractive indices of human skin tissue at eight wavelengths and estimated dispersion relations between 300 and 1600 nm,” Physics in Medicine and Biology 51(6), 1479–1489 (2006).
28. J. Wang, Z. Deng, X. Wang, Q. Ye, W. Zhou, J. Mei, C. Zhang, and J. Tian, “Measurement of the refractive index of hemoglobin solutions for a continuous spectral region,” Biomedical Optics Express 6(7), 2536–2541 (2015).
29. Z. Deng, J. Wang, Q. Ye, T. Sun, W.-Y. Zhou, J. Mei, C. Zhang, and J. Tian, “Determination of continuous complex refractive index dispersion of biotissue based on internal reflection,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 21(1), 015003 (2016).
30. B. Lewis, J. Mao, “Development of the pancreas and related structures,” in The Pancreas: An Integrated Textbook of Basic Science, Medicine and Surgery, 3rd Ed., H. G. Beger, A. L. Warshaw, R. H. Hruban, M. W. Brüchler, M. M. Lerch, J. P. Neoptolemos,T. Shimosegawa, and D. C. Whitcomb (Eds.), Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, New Jersey, USA (2018).
31. A. P. Klein, “Pancreatic cancer: a growing burden,” The Lancet 4(12), 895–896 (2019).
32. S. Mohammed, G. van Buren 2nd, and W. E. Fisher, “Pancreatic cancer: advances in treatment,” World Journal of Gastroenterology 20(28), 9354–9360 (2014).
33. D. P. Ryan, T. S. Hong, and N. Bardeesy, “Pancreatic adenocarcinoma,” New England Journal of Medicine 371(11), 1039–1049 (2014).
34. K. Yamaguchi, T. Okusaka, K. Shimizu, J. Furuse, Y. Ito, K. Hanada, T. Shimosegawa, and K. Okazaki, “Clinical practice guidelines for pancreatic cancer 2016 from the pancreas society: A synopsis,” Pancreas 46(5), 595–604 (2017).
35. I. D. Fleming, J. S. Cooper, D. E. Henson, R. V. P. Hutter. B. J. Kennedy, G. P. Murphy, B. O’Sullivan, L. H. Sobin, and J. W. Yarbro (Eds.), American Joint Committee for Cancer: Cancer Staging Manual, Whiting Press, Chicago, USA (1978).
36. J. H. Hwang, M. J. Cobb, M. B. Kimmey, and X. Li, “Optical coherence tomography imaging of the pancreas: a needle-based approach,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 3(7 Suppl 1), S49–S52 (2005).
37. S. Y. Lee, W. R. Lloyd, M. Chandra, R. H. Wilson, B. McKenna, D. Simeone, J. Scheiman, and M. A. Mycek, “Characterizing human pancreatic cancer using quantitative tissue optical spectroscopy,” Biomedical Optics Express 4(12), 2828 (2013).
38. R. H. Wilson, M. Chandra, J. Scheiman, D. Simeone, B. McKenna, J. Purdy, and M.-A. Mycek, “Optical spectroscopy detects histological hallmarks of pancreatic cancer,” Optics Express 17(20), 17502–17516 (2009).
39. P. A. Timoshina, A. B. Bucharskaya, D. A. Alexandrov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Study of blood microcirculation of pancreas in rats with alloxan diabetes by Laser Speckle Contrast Imaging,” Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering 3(1), 020301 (2017).
40. O. A. Smolyanskaya, E. N. Lazareva, S. S. Nalegaev, N. V. Petrov, K. I. Zaytsev, P. A. Timoshina, D. K. Tuchina, Ya. G. Toropova, O. V. Kornyushin, A. Yu. Babenko, J.-P. Guillet, and V. V. Tuchin, “Multimodal Optical Diagnostics of Glycated Biological Tissues,” Biochemistry (Moscow) 84, 124–143 (2019).
41. J.-C. Lai, Y.-Y. Zhang, A.-H. Li, H.-J. Jiang, and A.-Z. He, “Complex refractive index measurement of biological tissues by attenuated total reflection ellipsometry,” Applied Optics 49(16), 3235–3238 (2010).
42. M. Matiatou, P. Giannios, S. Koutsoumpos, K. G. Toutouzas, G. C. Zografos, and K. Moutzouris, “Data on the refractive index of freshly-excised human tissues in the visible and near-infrared spectral range,” Results in Physics 22, 103833 (2021).
43. Refractive Index Database (accessed 7 February 2021) [https://refractiveindex.info/].
44. Q. W. Song, C.-Yu Ku, C. Zhang, R. B. Gross, R. R. Birge, and R. Michalak, “Modified critical angle method for measuring the refractive index of bio-optical materials and its application to bacteriorhodopsin,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B 12(5), 797–803 (1995).
45. M. T. Jansen, “On the refractive index of histological tissue sections in visible and in ultraviolet light,” Experimental Cell Research 15(1), 239–242 (1958).
46. N. Alwahaibi, S. Aljaradi, and H. Alazri, “Alternative to xylene as a clearing agent in histopathology,” Journal Laboratory Physicians 10(2), 189–193 (2018).
47. O. Sydoruk, O. Zhernovaya, V. V. Tuchin, and A. Douplik, “Refractive index of solutions of human hemoglobin from the near-infrared to the ultraviolet range: Kramers-Kronig analysis,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 17(11), 115002 (2012).
48. J. Gienger, H. Groβ, J. Neukammer, and M. Bär, “Determining the refractive index of human hemoglobin solutions by Kramers-Kronig relations with an improved absorption model,” Applied Optics 55(31), 8951–8961 (2016).
© 2014-2021 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+