Differences in the Effect of 40%-Glucose on the Optical Properties of Healthy and Stromal-Sarcoma Ovaries in Cats
Paper #8986 received 3 Jun 2023; revised manuscript received 11 Jul 2023; accepted for publication 11 Jul 2023; published online 15 Sep 2023.
Differences in diffuse reflectance and total transmittance of healthy and sarcoma cat ovarian tissue were determined using integrating sphere spectroscopy and confirmed by histological analysis. The effective diffusion coefficient determined from the analysis of the kinetics of the diffuse reflectance was found equal to D = (7.5 ± 0.9)10–7 cm2/s for healthy tissue and D = (1.4 ± 0.2)10–6 cm2/s for sarcoma. In healthy tissue, optical clearing occurred with the formation of two UV transparency windows: (18 ± 4) nm wide centered at 225 nm and (50 ± 12) nm wide centered at 375 nm. For the ovary with sarcoma, the formation of only one transparency window centered at 380 nm and a width of (43 ± 11) nm was observed.
1. V. Dochez, H. Caillon, E. Vaucel, J. Dimet, N. Winer, and G. Ducarme, “Biomarkers and algorithms for diagnosis of ovarian cancer: CA125, HE4, RMI and ROMA, a review,” Journal of Ovarian Research 12, 28 (2019).
2. H. Falconer, U. Joneborg, K. Krawiec, K. Palsdottir, M. Bottai, and S. Salehi, “Ultra-radical upfront surgery does not improve survival in women with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer; a natural experiment in a complete population,” Gynecologic Oncology 159(1), 58–65 (2020).
3. S. Aust, R. Schwameis, T. Gagic, L. Müllauer, E. Langthaler, G. Prager, C.Grech, A. Reinthaller, M. Krainer, D. Pils, C. Grimm, and S. Polterauer, “Precision Medicine Tumor Boards: Clinical Applicability of Personalized Treatment Concepts in Ovarian Cancer,” Cancers 12(3), 548 (2020).
4. F. G. Lawton, E. J. Pavlik, “Perspectives on Ovarian Cancer 1809 to 2022 and Beyond,” Diagnostics 12(4), 791 (2022).
5. N. Lapke, C.-H. Chen, T.-C. Chang, A. Chao, Y.-J. Lu, C.-H. Lai, K.T. Tan, H.-C. Chen, H.-Y. Lu, and S.-J. Chen, “Genetic alterations and their therapeutic implications in epithelial ovarian cancer,” BMC Cancer 21(1), 499 (2021).
6. E. J. Pavlik, E. Brekke, J. Gorski, L. Baldwin-Branch, R. Miller, C. P. DeSimone, C. S. Dietrich, H. S. Gallion, F. R. Ueland, and J. R.van Nagell Jr., “Ultrasonographic Visualization of the Ovaries to Detect Ovarian Cancer According to Age, Menopausal Status and Body Type,” Diagnostics 12(1), 128 (2022).
7. N. Carreras-Dieguez, A. Glickman, M. Munmany, G. Casanovas, N. Agustí, B. Díaz-Feijoo, A. Saco, B. Sánchez, L. Gaba, and M. A. Angeles, “Comparison of HE4, CA125, ROMA and CPH-I for Preoperative Assessment of Adnexal Tumors,” Diagnostics 12, 226 (2022).
8. P. Phinyo, J. Patumanond, P. Saenrungmuaeng, W. Chirdchim, T. Pipanmekaporn, A. Tantraworasin, T. Tongsong, and C. Tantipalakorn, “Diagnostic Added-Value of Serum CA-125 on the IOTA Simple Rules and Derivation of Practical Combined Prediction Models (IOTA SR X CA-125),” Diagnostics 11(2), 173 (2021).
9. T. Karlsson, T. Johansson, J. Höglund, W. E. Ek, and A. Johansson, “Time-Dependent Effects of Oral Contraceptive Use on Breast, Ovarian, and Endometrial Cancers,” Cancer Research 81(4), 1153–1162 (2021).
10. C. J. Dunton, M .L. Hutchcraft, R. G. Bullock, L. E. Northrop, and F. R. Ueland, “Salvaging Detection of Early-Stage Ovarian Malignancies When CA125 Is Not Informative,” Diagnostics 11(8), 1440 (2021).
11. V. V. Tuchin (Ed.), Handbook of Optical Biomedical Diagnostics, Volume 1: Light-Tissue Interaction, 2 ed., SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA (2016). ISBN: 9781628419092.
12. V. V.Tuchin, D. Zhu, and E. A. Genina (Eds.), Handbook of Tissue Optical Clearing : New Prospects in Optical Imaging, 1st ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton (2022). ISBN: 9781003025252.
13. E. A. Genina, A. N. Bashkatov, and V. V. Tuchin, “Tissue optical immersion clearing,” Expert Review of Medical Devices 7(6), 825–842 (2010).
14. A. Kotyk, K. Janacek, “Membrane transport an interdisciplinary approach,” Biomembranes 9, 3–348 (1977).
15. D. J. Meuten (Ed.), Tumors in Domestic Animals, 5th ed., John Wiley & Sons (2017). ISBN: 9780813821795.
16. S. Carvalho, N. Gueiral, E. Nogueira, R. Henrique, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Glucose diffusion in colorectal mucosa - a comparative study between normal and cancer tissues,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 22(9), 091506 (2017).
17. A. A.Selifonov, A. S. Rykhlov, and V. V.Tuchin, “ The Glycerol-Induced Perfusion-Kinetics of the Cat Ovaries in the Follicular and Luteal Phases of the Cycle,” Diagnostics 13(3), 490 (2023).
18. A. A. Selifonov, V. V. Tuchin, “Determination of the Diffusion Coefficient of 40%-Glucose in Human Gum Tissue by Optical Method,” Optics and Spectroscopy 128(6), 766–770 (2020).
19. I. Carneiro, S. Carvalho, R. Henrique, A. Selifonov, L. Oliveira, and V. V. Tuchin, “Enhanced Ultraviolet Spectroscopy by Optical Clearing for Biomedical Applications,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 27(4), 1–8 (2021).
20. A. K. LeBlanc, C. N. Mazcko, “Improving human cancer therapy through the evaluation of pet dogs,” Nature Reviews Cancer 20(12), 727–742 (2020).
21. J. D. Schiffman, M. Breen, “Comparative oncology: what dogs and other species can teach us about humans with cancer,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 370(1673), 20140231 (2015).
22. T. Conze, A. Wehrend, “Sonographic imaging of physiological ovaries in the cat,” Tierarztliche Praxis. Ausgabe K, Kleintiere/heimtiere 45(3), 199–203 (2017).
23. Tanjila Hasan, M. M. Hossan, N. Tahsin, M. A. Hossain, and A. M. Uddin, “Pyometra in a Cat: A Clinical Case Report. A Review of Literature,” Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research 37(5), 29851–29856 (2021).
24. H. Rizk, N. A. Shaker, and E. Yahya, “Cat brain neuroanatomy using cryosectioning, magnetic resonance and computed tomography imaging modalities,” International Journal of Veterinary Science 9(3), 385–390 (2020).
25. M. Nordin, А. Osman, R. Shaari, М. Arshad, А. Kadir, М. Farhan, М. F. H. Reduan, and М. Luqmannordin, “Recent Overview of Mammary Cancer in Dogs and Cats: Classification, Risk Factors and Future Perspectives for Treatmen,” Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science 10(8), 64–69 (2017).
© 2014-2023 Samara National Research University. All Rights Reserved.
Public Media Certificate (RUS). 12+